State Minister for Works and Road Transport Musa Ecweru has given a two-month ultimatum to Omega Construction Company to complete construction of Sezibwa Bridge.
The Ministry of Works and Transport contracted the Company in 2019 to tarmac a road and construct the bridge that connects Nakasongola to Kayunga district for a tune of sh15 billion. The construction was supposed to be completed within 18 months, but was later granted a six months extension.
However, the work was never completed, even after the extension. It is on the basis of this that residents led by Augustus Bandikubi, the LC III Chairperson of Kalongo sub-county in Nakasongola district are bitter about the delayed completion of the bridge works. The Ministry has so far paid sh7 billion to the contractor.
Bandikubi says that about 13 lives have been lost as people try to cross to Kayunga using an incomplete bridge, adding that it was unfortunate that the contractor doesn’t see the urgency to complete it. Bandikubi also complained of the narrow road constructed by the company.
Sunday Bwanga, a resident of Kalongo sub-county said that that they are frustrated by the delays, which have also affected the transportation of goods between Nakasongola and Kayunga district.
On Friday last week, the State Minister of Works and Road Transport Musa Ecweru inspected the works and expressed dissatisfaction with the slow progress of works on the bridge. Ecweru gave the contractor an ultimatum of two months to complete the works or action against the company is taken within the law.
Ecweru added that he has detected connivance with authorities like Uganda Road Fund and local governments to swindle government funds without executing the works for a number of construction projects.
However, Lilian Nabiseere, an Engineer at Omega Construction Company said that they are in the final process of installing culverts and work on the drainage system before they hand over the road project.
By the time Minister Ecweru visited Nakasongola, the local leaders had also petitioned Prime Minister Robinah Nabbanja who had ordered the investigations into delayed completion of the construction of the bridge.