Police in Kampala Metropolitan area has released a traffic guidelines that will be followed by the public, as they pay their last respect to the deceased Kampala Diocese Archbishop Dr. Cyprian Kizito Lwanga, who died on Saturday last week.
Dr. Lwanga who was found dead in his house is reported to have died of heart illness, according to the postmortem report from Mulago Referral Hospital.
Yesterday, Dr. Lwanga was offered a National Mourning, which was led by the president at Kololo ceremonial grounds. Today, the body will be airlifted to Namugongo, where the public will also pay their last respect.
Police in a statement has informed the general public that tomorrow that there will be traffic diversions at Namugongo, Kira Municipality in Wakiso District.
“The body of Archbishop of Kampala Archdiocese, Dr. Cyprian Kizito Lwanga, is expected to be taken to Namugongo Martyrs’ shrine for public viewing,” Luke Oweyisigire, the Kampala Metropolitan Deputy Police spokesperson said.
“Many people are expected to attend the public view. Traffic will be diverted to ensure that there is smooth flow of the ceremony,” he added
The diversions according to Police will be;
- There will be a diversion at Kyaliwajala Trading Centre and Angelina Health Centre.
- The stretch between Kyaliwajala and Angelina is restricted to the public, except vehicles authorised by the security team.
- Traffic flow on Semambo Road will remain open for the motorists travelling from Naalya heading to Ssonde and Mukono side.
- The motorists travelling from Seeta to Ssonde can access Namugongo through Semambo Road and connect to Naalya or Kireka Townships.
- All VIPs will access Namugongo Catholic shrines through Kyaliwajala or Angelina Health Centre and access their parking inside the shrine as they will be directed by the traffic police and security.
Oweyisigire said that theywill also be screened by security, and are expected to comply with both the health and security guidelines.
“The general public, who intend to go for public viewing, will use Semambo Road and access their parking at Namugongo Primary School. All boda bodas are restricted from passing beyond our cut off points. All heavy trucks will be diverted at Seeta and Bweyogerere respectively,” he said.
The residents, who stay within the cut off areas, he said will be allowed to exit and will be expected to use the road after the ceremony at 4:00pm.
“Kireka-Kyaliwajala traffic flow will be normal, this we urge all motorists to comply with the guidelines issued to avoid inconveniences,”